It might seem as if a person who writes plays should be called a “playwrite” but in fact a playwright is a person who has wrought words into a dramatic form, just as a wheelwright has wrought wheels out of wood and iron. All the other words ending in “-wright” are archaic, or we’d be constantly reminded of the correct pattern.

Back to list of errors


Common Errors front cover