(Duiker: 28-42, 63-65)
Questions about Duiker: How did the Assyrian military machine create a climate of terror? What were some of the boasts of the Assyrian kings? In what ways did the Assyrians continue Mesopotamian culture? *What kinds of scenes were depicted in Assyrian palace reliefs? Who were the Chaldeans? What were the main achievements of Cyrus? What was the attitude of the Hebrews toward him? *Why is Zoroaster important? Who are the Dravidians and Aryans? *What are some of the main characteristics of Harappa? *Describe one piece of art from Harappa or Mohenjo-Daro. What was the first state to unify most of China under a single ruler? *What are “oracle bones?” What were some of the religious beliefs of the Shang? What is the best-known sort of art made by the Shang?
Near Eastern Empires:
- Note sequence of empires, common artistic themes.
- Old Babylon
- Distinguish Old Babylon from Neobabylon.
- Note main characteristics of Assyrians, why people rejoiced to see them overthrown.
- Relationship to Jews
- Cyrus, relationship to Jews,
- Period covered,
- relationship to later Indian culture, to Mesopotamia.
- Achievements in bronze
- Human sacrifice.
- Memorize this chronological sequence: Sumer, Akkad (Old Babylon), Assyra, Babylon, Persia.
- Note which artistic and other themes continue throughout Mesopotamian civilizations.
- Note the evidence for a strong centralized government in the Indus civilization.
- Note the importance of Chinese ideographs and how they differ from Mesopotamian written languages.
- Images from ancient Mesopotamia
- Assyrian materials in the Oriental Institute Virtual Museum, University of Chicago
- Assyro-Babylonian Mythology
- Akkadian language
- The Palace of Ashurnasirpal II
- Harappa The ancient Indus civilization.
- Around the Indus in 90 Slides
- The Indus Riddle An interesting article on changing ideas about the Indus culture
- Ancient Cities of the Indus Valley
- The Yellow River
- Condensed China: Chinese History for Beginners
- Late Shang Dynasty Vehicle